Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Panhandlers' Plight

"Come sit here and let me tell you my story," he beckons, launching into a narrative occasionally interrupted by his requests for money from passersby (most of them declined). "I'm homeless, my feet are dirty and my underwear's soiled. I need $20 so I can stay in a hotel for the night."

"Most people don't know what it's like. I had this one man, he says, 'I ain't giving you any money,' and next time I see him he say he lost his job, his wife left him. You don't know what's gonna happen."

"I'm Jamaican, from Kingston," this man says, without a discernible Jamaican accent.

After posing for a picture, he wants the $10 he spots in your wallet as you dig for smaller change to give him. He is quite practiced at his trade.

No comments:

Post a Comment